Friday, August 20, 2010

We will never buy a filing cabinet

There are a few behind-the-scenes things you should know about us.  One of them is I can't stand paper.  And don't even get me started on "legal-size" paper...oh boy.  My problem with paper isn't that I want to save trees...recycling has eased my mind on that one.  My problem with paper is that it can only be in one place at a time. 

If I have a vendor file at the office tucked inside a filing cabinet, you need to be at the office to see it.  Duh.  But if the vendor file is scanned and available via Citrix to our entire team...well, that makes more sense.  Paperless is not about eliminating clutter, paperless is about accessibility of information. 

At Garman Homes we scan our mail each week, we maintain electronic lot files, we post our plans and bid documents online.  I'm not saying it's all perfectly organized, in fact, at times it is a mess...just as an office can be.  But at least our entire team can dig through it and find what they need remotely. 

How does this change our customer experience?  I'm not sure it does.  Great systems can be built on any technology or no technology.  I just wanted to share with you another piece of what we are all about.