Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Me As a Kid, Alaina Sarah Higginbotham


When Jim threw out the idea of each of us writing an entry on who we were as kids I thought, 'really? why should we do that?' but then I thought...'well why the heck not?' Like anything we write about ourselves, it is just further insight into who we are as individuals and as a company. So here goes...

A few things come to mind when I think of myself as a kid...context always helps so I'll start with FIVE THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT MY CHILDHOOD.

1. I am the youngest of 5 children and while we weren't raised quite as strictly as the Von Trapps from the Sound of Music-they are the closest example that comes to mind.

2. All of us were required to take piano lessons and dance. All of my siblings took ballet, I took jazz. I can still play a rockin' chopsticks overture but I played the Ave Maria like a lively march.

3. My mom is 100% Italian and I didn't know you could buy pasta or sauce from the store until I was well into elementary school. And now that I know how to make both, I don't why anyone would ever buy pasta or sauce from the store.

4. When I was too young to read but old enough to understand pictures I made a lego representation of the cover of my Dad's copy of Newsweek (it was a very simple descending staircase shape) and when my father asked me what I made I answered, 'Budget Cuts.'

5. When people asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up I always answered, Obstetrician.

My mom says I was the only child (out of the 5 of us) that ever talked back to my dad. That doesn't surprise me-I still want to be heard. I was always looking for ways to distinguish myself from the pack. My siblings were all really good at something and I didn't want to compete with them for the same accolades...I wanted to blaze my own trail and be equally good at something so I could earn their respect.

I was mischievous and entertaining and kinda hope I always am.