Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Culture Book 2011 - Lydie Epoko

I have worked for Garman Homes for over 4 years now handling payables, May 2011 was my four years anniversary and I can’t wait to be able to say that I have been with the company for 10 years, why? Because I love working for the owner Jim Garman, his name is simply Jim for me.

For me Garman Homes represents family, personal growth, opportunities, flexibility, telecommuting, fun working environment, and the future. The company has a sound and well thought out strategic plan which keeps everyone focused clearly on where we are going and how we are going to get there. I trust and respect Jim.

Garman Homes represents family for me. I couldn’t have picked a better company to work for part-time when I decided to stay home and take care of my little ones; moving away for that corporate stress and high degree of demands and expectations which usually end up being a burden for your family with late working hours. I needed a good balance between family and work and I found that at Garman Homes. If I cannot find a babysitter, I know that I can take my kids to a scheduled meeting. Not only that; my personal values are similar to the values of Garman Homes. We seem to believe in the same things. Even after all these years with high and lows, the beliefs have not changed. Where else will you get that?

Garman Homes represent personal growth and opportunities for me. With this company, I have taken more responsibilities than I had with a large corporation. I learned new skills and new computer systems and I cannot wait to see what Jim has in for me in the future. The company sets challenging goals which motivates me to constantly improve my performance and I love that. New suggestions or process improvements are always welcome. I am always being praised about my work large or small. When you look at each employee you can tell that they enjoy their work as well, and they are so good at it too. You always hear praises here and there non-stop.

Garman Homes represents flexibility and telecommuting for me. I can wake up at 2 or 4am in the morning and start working. I can set up a movie at home for the kids when they are out of school and sit on my computer to respond to urgent requests or account inquiries. I am not required to sit on my computer 9-5. I am allowed to set up my own schedule and all I am required to do is to just get the work done.

Garman Homes is a fun working environment and is always embracing the future. Because I telecommute, I do not get to see everyone often, so my best day is when we all get together for our First Friday Meeting where we all get to say something nice about our personal life and what we are up to at work. We also get to hear great stories about our customers and how we are changing lives out there. One of its main requirements is for all of us to have a great and positive attitude; it is even required from our customers and outside partners. I know we have all heard about a great and positive attitude from many jobs but just right now if you are reading this, simply take a look around your office and tell me if you see great and positive attitude. Here this is real, if not you are out! It is also quite incredible that with the job market and construction industry prospects so loom, that we are still standing, moving forward, outperforming our goals and competitions but having fun doing it. Have you ever seen your boss skate around the office? We have and it is on Facebook too!

Garman Homes also offers a great employee incentives program to its people such as vacation, bonus package, and the best of all, an employee Day. Where else can the boss take you to lunch? On top of that some employees get surprises such as an Ipad or a laptop if they killed it that month or if Jim is looking to move to the next level of efficiency and customer relation, and the good thing is that they get to keep them. Still want me to continue, we can be here for a while you know!

It is always a pleasure for me to work here. I do not have any complain whatsoever and enjoy my work a lot. Everyone is always friendly, with a smile on the face and you are valued as a person. If you are looking for a new opportunity and a great place to work, you are more than welcome to apply…But remember with a company like this, demands are high, so I suggest that you get ready to bring you’re A game! If you can’t be a Rockstar or a good Backup Singer at least, just like American Idol, you may not make it…

Lydie Epoko
Rock Star since May 14, 2007