Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Culture Book 2011 - Alaina Money

When I think of the culture at Garman Homes, I smile. I often find myself saying, "at Garman Homes we're 'free to be you and me' " but I should edit that to include, "as long as 'you and me' are positive, passionate and relentless in the pursuit of everyones best work." Because if 'you and me' were negative, gossipy and only out for ourselves, we wouldn't last very long at Garman Homes. Trust me.

We're free to be you and me in the sense that we don't have to have the same opinions or even agree with each other but we're very respectful of each other. Not in a formal way, just in a friendly way that makes it easy for everyone to be their true self.

We are a culture of celebration. We celebrate each other's strengths and we even celebrate some of our failures. When we fail we learn and we evolve and we get better and getting better is always a cause for celebration. Always.

We're protective of each other from the outside and from the inside we're constantly trying to see how far we can push each other. I think of us like that game we used to play as kids called, 'crack the whip'...where we would all ice skate or roller skate in a line holding hands and at a certain point the person in the lead would stop and swing the others forward, the force of which gets more and more intense with each person, until the last person is literally flung so far forward they leave the group at warp speed with the others cheering them on to see how far they will go...or to go and pick them up if they happen to crash right into a wall. Either way, it's cool because you know you've got support and you know you will be protected. That's the only way we'll find out just how far each of us can fly forward-by the rest of us collectively flinging them into oblivion. Not really. But kinda. You get the gist.

Alaina Money
Rock Star since March 31, 2008