Saturday, March 24, 2012

our "Office"



One of the earliest steps in the construction process for every house is setting up the temporary utilities. Believe it or not, it's awfully tough to build a house without power and water...just ask any of my subs when I forget to do so.

The other day I was on the phone with Progress Energy (who I've always had good experiences with btw...unexpectedly considering the reputation of most utility companies). I was setting up a new account for a house in Wedgewood. A funny thing happened when we got to the usually well-rehearsed part of the conversation where the rep asks me for our "office" address, "office" phone number, and "office" fax number.

I put "office" in quotations of course because we don't actually have an "office". Definitely not one with an automated phone system, cubicles and a fax machine. We do have to use a physical mailing address for the company, but when I told her we don't have an office phone and that I've never actually faxed anything since I've been at Garman Homes....SILENCE.

Then:

"Well, uh...wait...huh? So what is y'alls company's number? Whuduhya mean y'all don't have an office phone? Or a fax? What do y'all use then? How do people call y'all?"

At that point I got to share with her our approach to company office overhead. It sounds boring by topic, but the philosophy behind it is eye-opening!

Why tie ourselves down with a phone cord, fax machine, file cabinet or most importantly, a single location?

Instead we're outfitted with iEverything and store our files in Dropbox (cloud file management - #checkitoutforyourself). Without trying to sound like an Apple comercial, we put the best tools in the best people's hands and send them out to do their best work.

Why stand at a fax machine or wait around the office for a phone call when an Email, Text, Facebook post, Yam, FaceTime, Picture, Blog, Video or Face-to-face meeting is 1000x better and more enjoyable and efficient?? And I can do it all from wherever I need to be. At any time. From any place.

We love being on the leading edge and thinking outside of the box (aka office).

PS - Big ups to GO Realty (SHOUT OUT!) for letting us mooch on y'alls copy machine! (Spoiler Alert: Garman Homes occasionally has to do business with the non-2012 world still)

- Brian Russo