Tuesday, April 26, 2011

WINNING

(Excerpt from my Build Like a Girl blog)



Contrary to what most people might say, I don't agree with the notion that it is an honor just to be nominated. Ok, so maybe if we're talking Nobel Peace Prize, sure, that's an honor...but short of that, and not to go all Charlie Sheen crazy here but I get my honor kicks from winning. (p.s. if you're ever up against me for an award, you should know I'm probably hoping you lose.)

So it's a good thing we won the MAME Award for Best Blog by a Builder last week, huh? MAME stands for Major Achievements in Marketing Excellence and yes, I know, really odd name for marketing awards. Now back to the winning part.

The night would have been a total downer if we lost. Instead it was one of the best nights of my career thus far. It was the kind of night where you have so much fun that people earn nicknames. Really good nicknames that stick. That's right, I'm talking to you, Skittles.


And it was the kind of night when you realize that you get to work with just the coolest people on earth. People who think it's a great idea to carpool together in the swagger wagon. People who ask if anyone's iphone needs a quick charge before we go in to the event. People who will only tag the good pictures of you on Facebook and oblige your request to delete the ones where your arms look fat. Those are good people. I love those people.


I'd like to say that I would write this blog even if no one was reading but that would be a total lie. I write this blog because it allows me to connect to anyone and everyone that reads it. It gives me a platform to spill my guts, air my grievances, confess my sins and move on. It gives me a platform to be better. At anything. At everything. I write it because it makes me feel good and it gives me an opportunity to make other people feel good, usually at my own expense but whatever. If someone reads this and feels good...that is fan-freaking-tastic.




We won because YOU read this blog.
These words. And you like it. Or not.
And maybe you like us. Or not.
Either way. It's cool.

And just because it might not be an honor for me just being nominated, it is truly an honor that you might actually read these words.

So thanks for that.

You're all winners.