Thursday, April 14, 2011

Did Jim get out of his car?

Mike couldn't believe I bought lots 142 & 143 Bridgewater.  He said to Alaina, "Did Jim get out of his car?  Did he see how these things drop off?"  Tasked with running Garman Homes last spring while I was starting Go Realty, Mike was not so happy to find I left him with two super-steep lots.

Mike's decision was immediate and clear...put these lots on the market and sell them to some other poor smuck.  OK, got it.

When I returned to daily operations last fall, I was as scared as Mike to start these lots.  I had no idea how the grading would work or if we could control our basement costs.  I admit, I was chicken.  And I admit, no, I didn't get out of my car.

Then, the craziest thing happened.  Dan Morse (our new Dir. of Construction) stepped up and said he and Gerry could figure these out.  Boasting 10 years of Toll Brothers experience and hundreds of basements under his belt, Dan appeared confident.  In fact, Dan relished the challenge of proving me wrong.

And boy...wrong I was.  These two homesites turned out to be gorgeous.  The basement foundations went in perfectly.  The house plans that Dan & Gerry chose were just right.  And best of all, both homes were sold before we hung the drywall.  Wow.

I'm lucky to work with people who step up and prove me wrong...on a regular basis.  Thank you Dan & Gerry!