Friday, February 17, 2012

The Case Against Building Models

We get a lot of questions about why we don't build models.  And truthfully, in the beginning it was just all about affordability.  We couldn't afford models so we didn't build them.  Then the longer we went without building models the more we realized the benefit of selling without them.

If an agent calls us up and wants to show one of our houses and we don't have a finished home to show them, we call up our homeowners.  What better way to show our homes than with actual real live people who built a home with us?

Last week I called up my friend, Jenn Cole , who represented some of our buyers in Fairfield last year.  That's her alongside me at the office-comparing fashionable footwear.  Anyway, I told Jenn we had someone interested in seeing the plan her clients built and what did she think?  Within hours she sent me a text with a time that worked for the homeowners.

We take great pride in showing the homes we've built.  But we take even greater pride in allowing people interested in buying our homes to meet the people we've already built a home.

I don't care what you spend on a model...it really can't compare with an opportunity to reconnect with agents who have sold our homes, buyers who have built our homes and give interested buyers a peek behind the curtain.  What better way to give them a sense of who we really are?

I'm not saying we'll never build a model, I'm just saying I'm grateful we haven't built one yet.