Friday, March 26, 2010

What I learned as a warranty manager...


Earlier this year I began spending more time managing our warranty process than I did managing our sales team (for better or worse, depending on who you ask). I was called to the role in a completely instinctual way. I felt like I couldn't think about any future buyers unless I knew that our homeowners were getting what they needed. And the truth of the matter was we had homeowners out there who didn't have what they needed. [Remember when Jim referenced those 'punch in the stomach' moments...that was my moment.]


As a sales manager, I get to know our buyers at their happiest -full of hopes and dreams for their new life in their new home. As a warranty manager, I got to know our buyers in a whole new way. For starters, they weren't always happy. Some were frustrated (with good reason). I was prepared for that and I felt empowered knowing I could help them. I wasn't as prepared for our reflective buyers. The buyers that asked if I would meet with them so they could share their thoughts on our building experience.


It was like they went to school on us and it was report card time. What I learned confirmed something I already knew-we have the best buyers in the world. Buyers who truly care about whether or not we succeed. Buyers that give us the benefit of the doubt when we occasionally come up short. Buyers who believe in us. I will always be grateful to those buyers.


Here's what else I learned:

I learned that setting good expectations for our buyers is a work in progress.

I learned that we always want to say yes but sometimes we have to say no.

I learned that if we build a relationship along with the house it is a much better experience for everyone.

and I learned that we'll keep learning. One buyer at a time.