Sunday, October 28, 2012

Hello. My name is Jim Garman

Hi! I'm Jim Garman. That's me over there. More often than not, I have an iPhone pressed to my right ear and my left hand on the steering wheel of my 2008 Prius. I don't often sit still. Gretchen Mathison must have used a high shutter speed to capture this photo. Love her.

I live in Durham with my wife, Katie, and our two children, Ellie (5) and Sam (2). Katie is a doctor at Duke, she's kind of a big deal. I'm very thankful that she has a "real job." Ellie is in preschool and Sam hangs out during the day at Lakewood Avenue Children's School. I grew up in Kentucky and graduated from Yale in 1998. During college I spent more time on the Habitat for Humanity jobsite than in the classroom...and I have the grades to prove it!

After graduating, I moved to San Francisco to chase a dream with Antony Brydon, founder of the Habitat Bicycle Challenge. In 2000, I moved with a ring in my pocket to Durham, where I promptly proposed to Katie, my college sweetheart.

I spent the next six years working my way up through the ranks at DR Horton, where I learned homebuilding and leadership during the best of times. Oblivious to the pending economic disaster, I struck out on my own in late 2006, starting the first Garman Home in March, 2007.

Since then, our merry band has built over 250 homes in the Triangle.  We are thrilled to come to work everyday and do what we love...build great homes for great people.  As a five-year old company, we are excited to wrap up kindergarten this year and move up to first grade...always humbled by how much we have to learn and how much better we want to be.

You ain't seen nothing yet.

Have a question about me?  About us?  Anything at all?  Call me.  My cell phone is the "main company" phone number posted on our website, I'm easy to find.  I look forward to hearing from you!  \JG