Sunday, June 1, 2008

Habitat Blitz - Calm Before the Storm


Our trade partners agreed that they would prefer to work hard on Saturday and leave Sunday for a day of rest. I thought they were crazy! After all, we only have six days to build this entire house — I couldn’t imagine leaving the house idle for an entire day! But I was wrong; it worked out.

Our only activity on Sunday was the electrical. Imperial Electric ran the wiring and they had the job site to themselves. They accomplished their work quickly and expertly and packed up. The home was ready for inspections on Monday morning!

On this quiet day, I want to take a moment and describe the benefits of the Advanced Energy Program that we are following on our Habitat for Humanity home. As the owner of Garman Homes, I have weighed the costs and benefits of such energy programs and, so far, we have not committed to taking the plunge. But, with this Habitat for Humanity home, I admit that I am now a believer.

Thanks to 10 to 12 key building techniques and materials defined by this program, Cesar’s home will have an electrical bill of less than $25 a month. That makes a BIG difference for him and his finances. Thank you to Chatham County Habitat for Humanity for teaching us about this powerful program.

-Jim Garman
jim@garman.net